Re: Which fonts to add to Lyx?

Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> writes:

> On Sat 21 Oct 2017 at 20:20:50 +0200, Christopher Pinon wrote:
>> Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> writes:
>> > Font T1/cmr/m/it/10=ecti1000 at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
>
>> I may have missed it, but do you have tex-ec installed?
>>
>> http://pkgsrc.se/fonts/tex-ec
>
> Aha! Yes, that was it. I didn't have it and added it, and now there are
> no errors and I see my letter immediately. Thanks!
>
>> (The last time I used LyX was a number of years ago under Linux, so I'm
>> afraid that I can't speak about LyX, but it appears that the error
>> message refers to a missing ec font.)
>
> Interesting! I see ecti1000 but I would have sworn that the message
> would refer to a computer modern roman (cmr) font since that is earlier
> in the message... or something like that.

After reflection, my guess about what is happening is the following:

- In your LyX source file, the package fontenc is loaded with option T1
  ( \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} ).

- If this is the case, then latex first looks for the font cm-super (
  http://pkgsrc.se/fonts/tex-cm-super ), and if this font is missing, it
  looks for the font ec.

- Initially, you had neither cm-super not ec installed.

- Once you installed ec, latex was happy, but if you had installed
  cm-super instead of ec, latex would also have been happy.

By the way, if you don't use the package fontenc, then latex looks for
the (legacy) font cm (which you do have installed).

Nowadays, cm-super is preferred to ec because the former is a Type 1
(PostScript) font, whereas the latter is a Metafont font.

C.