Re: Newsbeuter

I'll reach out to the source maintainer about getting another release,
even just a minor version. Thanks

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017, Thomas Klausner wrote:

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 11:50:03 +0200
From: Thomas Klausner <tk%giga.or.at@localhost>
To: James Tomasino <tomasino%sdf.org@localhost>
Cc: pkgsrc-users%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: Newsbeuter

Hi James!

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 01:48:46AM -0400, James Tomasino wrote:
I've been reviewing challenges by users on SDF.org (netbsd) in getting
Newsbeuter to run properly. While the current package in apt or brew
works fine in ubuntu/mint or OSX, for example, the latest packaged
version (2.9) does not work on netbsd.

The 2.9 version was released in 2015 and 2.10 has been long in the
works. The current repository (github.com/akrennmair/newsbeuter.git) has
addressed a number of issues on the path to that next version. One of
these bugs addressed in December of 2015 related to an error introduced
when limiting string lengths with STFL. This particular error seems to
be the culprit which crashes Newsbeuter on launch on SDF.org. With that
patch in place it should be theoretically possible for the latest
version to run properly on netbsd.

So, while it's not quite a 2.10 release candidate, the current version
is not operational. The good folks on the SDF bboard suggested I reach
out to you as the maintainer of pkgsrc and pass on that information.

Can you please identify the necessary commits or convince upstream to
make a new release? That'd make it easier to help you :)

Thank you,
Thomas