Re: www/seamonkey build stopped by failure to find nonexistent packages

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 07:43:51PM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > Does this suggest that I should preface "make install ..." command with "env PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/pkg/bin/pkgconfig"?

> No. The pkgsrc version is used by purpose to hide the .pc files that
> should not be seen by the package.

> > But then why does this problem only show in www/seamonkey and not a lot of other packages?

> I have no idea. Does this problem still appear when you do 'make clean; make'?
>  Thomas

env PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/pkg/bin/pkgconfig
would surely not have worked as mistyped, but I up-arrowed through the command history and found it was
env PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig

But it still had no effect, build failed just the same, even when preceded by "make clean".

What is the purpose of those .pc files in /usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig?

FreeBSD counterpart is /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig .

After the seamonkey failure, I was successful installing otter-browser and firefox, would probably not have attempted otter-browser if I knew Firefox would install successfully.

I believe configure scripts in source-code packages typically look for prerequisite libraries rather than package-dependency names but could be wrong.  Source-code packages from upstream are not targeted for any specific package manager or build system such as NetBSD pkgsrc, FreeBSD ports, or Gentoo portage.

Tom