Re: Failure to build sysutils/memtestplus

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017, Paul Goyette wrote:
With help from wiz@ this is determined to be a problem with the recent change to enable SSP and FORTIFY. Adding the following to the Makefile avoids the issue:

Holy cow, I didn't even know GCC had SSP, now. I remember ProPolice and some Solar Designer patches from way-back-when, but I'm behind on my compiler chops it seems.

So, for everyone like me who didn't realize that gcc had stack smashing protection since version 4.9 you might want to check out this article:

https://lwn.net/Articles/584225/

That's what upgraded my education (and it's from 2014 - facepalm). However, I'm surprised that using it doesn't break half the stuff you compile. That was my recollection of using ProPolice, but perhaps that's all changed nowadays.

-Swift