Re: pkgsrc-2017Q1 released

Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar%fessel.org@localhost> writes:

> Thanks for the update on how to proceed and the insight into the inner workings of pkg.
>
> Am 11.04.2017 um 03:07 schrieb Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>:
>> Also, I wonder how you are making patches.  If you use mkpatches (from
>> pkgtools/pkgdiff), it will create files with our more recent naming
>> convention based on files names instead of -aa.
>
> Thanks for this information.  I wasn’t aware of that, so I just used cvs diff…
> It was intended to prevent local issues until someone else fixes it officially.
> Now this turns out not to be the best plan in a community driven effort ;-)

mkpatches is basically a fancy version of cvs diff, but it takes care of
 - using foo.orig as the old version, so you can "make", fix up (see
    pkgvi), and then mkpatches
 - picking standard names for the patch file
 - preserving any comments in the existing patch file
 - saving the old one in patch-foo.c.orig

We all work together to improve pkgsrc, so every contribution is
appreciated.  For less common packages, often the few users send in
patches.

Greg