Error in configure stage for new package

Hi guys,

I'm working on a package for vicidial version of asterisk 11. I've been
following the instructions from pkgsrc developer handbook and now a have
this issue:

configure: *** XML documentation will not be available because the
'libxml2' development package is missing.
configure: *** Please run the 'configure' script with the
'--disable-xmldoc' parameter option
configure: *** or install the 'libxml2' development package.
*** Error code 1

However, libxml2 is installed as a dependency. From
work/asterisk-11.22.0/config.log, I can see this

configure:12361: clang -o conftest -O2 -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/pkg/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include -L/usr/local/lib conftest.c
-Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib -lxml2 -L/usr/lib -lz -L/usr/lib
-llzma -L/usr/lib -lm >&5
conftest.c:58:12: fatal error: 'libxml/tree.h' file not found
  #include <libxml/tree.h>
           ^
but there is actually the file /usr/pkg/include/libxml2/libxml/tree.h
and if I change to ${WRKSRC} and type the full clang instruction it
doesn't complain.

Why is it failing at configure stage and not when I type the command by
hand?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Alberto Mijares