Re: pkg_chk getting wrong version of Python package

D'Arcy Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> I am mostly using the latest Python (just converting to 3.6 now) but I
> still have a few modules that need to be built for 2.7.  Somehow
> pkg_chk is listing some of those as 3.6 and thus showing as missing.
> This seems to be those packages that have only a 2.7 version built.
> For example, let's say I have these packages installed:
>
> py27-authres-0.800
> py27-babel-2.3.4
> py36-babel-2.3.4
> py36-crypto-2.6.1nb2
>
> According to pkg_chk I have the following installed:
>
> py36-authres-0.800
> py36-babel-2.3.4
> py36-crypto-2.6.1nb2

I have also run into this, and mostly I've just ignored it because I
have just upgraded from 2.6 to 2.7.

I think the fix is to change the way pkg_chk deals with multiversion
packages and have it report each version separately, and not consider
python27-foo out of date because the default is 36, etc.

This does mean pkg_chk will then not help move from one version to
another.  But arguably that's ok, since they exist as separate packages.

> I tried looking through the script but I am not sure that there is a
> good fix for this.  As I see it two things need to be fixed, list the
> actual packages on the system and allow make to build arbitrary
> versions instead of looking at mk.conf.  I tried to do the latter with
> "make -DPYTHON_VERSION_DEFAULT=27 install" but it still tried to build
> 3.6 as defined in mk.conf.

Do you have ?= in mk.conf?  I am wondering if this is just make variable
precedence.