Re: HEADSUP: bootstrap PKG_DBDIR default changed

* On 2016-11-22 at 10:17 GMT, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 11:26:45AM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> >  The defaults for the arguments are as follows:
> >
> >  	--prefix	/usr/pkg
> > -	--pkgdbdir	/var/db/pkg
> > +	--pkgdbdir	/usr/pkg/pkgdb
>
> Chosing this directory has side effects. Some installations share /usr between
> multiple machines. Having the DB next to the packages is thus a good bonus. As
> for naming and directory conventions, wouldn't /usr/pkg/var/db be a better
> place?

We could bikeshed the location ad nauseam.  I chose one which worked
for a lot of people, despite it not being my personal favourite, so
that we could move forward and fix the issue on OpenBSD/Bitrig.

The fact is that it's a configurable location, so if you don't like it
you can choose whatever you want, as I will continue to do.

Cheers,