Re: Thoughts on building lang/gcc packages without Java support

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> Hello, In pkgsrc we build the versions of GCC (4.x) which support Java
> with the feature enabled. On legacy archs this can have a tremendous
> impact on build time eg on a G4 PowerPC mac, that's another 24 hours+
> per package!

I thought that folks who maintained ports for older/slower systems all
used cross-compiler rigs to build packages. That shows you what I know.
Wow. You build those pkgs on real hardware, eh? Cool. I guess I need to
donate some more money to TNF to keep our labs & colos running!

I recently installed NetBSD on a Quadra 660AV Mac. Those have a Motorola
68040 @25Mhz. It took about seven hours to do the install. It takes about
2-3 minutes to login via ssh. You don't want to even know how long it
takes to compile stuff from pkgsrc. Now, I REALLY wonder how folks are
building all these packages I installed from pkgsrc on that Mac. If I had
to build that stuff it would take months (years?).

> I was wondering if there were any strong objections or any users which
> relied on compiling Java with GCC from pkgsrc who would be impacted by
> disabling this feature after the 2016Q3 release is cut.

Well my opinion doesn't count since I hate Java with a burning irrational
fury. If I could see it erased from existence, I'd be happy. To me, it's
heretical blasphemy just seeing it available at all to anyone anywhere on
any platform. If there was a programming language internment camp, I'd
volunteer to be one of the guards, then beat Java nightly with a lead pipe
until I got satisfaction for the zillion errors, outages, memory bloat,
false promises, and version mismatches I've had to tolerate because of
Java and it's adherents. Then once I was bored of that, I'd bury it (deep)
in the woods with a bullet in the skull. Oracle would press charges and
I'd be the first one in history found guilty of language genocide.

So, yeah, not a fan of Java. Hopefully, someone who actually likes/wants
it will speak for it.

-Swift