Re: Apple making decisions for users..

* On 2016-09-19 at 06:37 BST, Jan Danielsson wrote:

> On 17/09/16 07:33, Adam Ciarciński wrote:
> >>   So apparently upgrading Xcode without asking the user is a thing.
> >>
> >>   Without any chance to opt out, my iMac had upgraded its Xcode from
> >> 7.x to 8.  This led to:
> >>
> >> $ bmake distinfo
> >> ERROR: This package has set PKG_FAIL_REASON:
> >> ERROR: No suitable Xcode SDK or Command Line Tools installed.
> >> ERROR: youtube-dl-20160915 requires a working dlopen().
> >> *** Error code 1
> >
> > SDK for 10.11 is not included with Xcode 8. In that case you need to install Command Line Tools for Xcode 8 on El Capitan. Then pkgsrc will detect the existance of /usr/include and continue to work. :)
>
>    Is it not sufficient to select XCode 8.0 in "Command Line Tools" in
> XCode's Locations settings?
>
>    It was long ago since this happened last time, but now that you
> mention it I do recall having to manually install the command line tools
> for some reason.

Yeh I hit this too, it seems like Apple is intent on breaking our way
of using the current SDK.

It's probably too late to do anything about this for 2016Q3 but after
we branch we should look at changing how we do this, to instead use
whatever the latest SDK we have installed is but setting the correct
deployment target via the wrappers.