Re: CentOS binary packages, etc.

On 08/29/2016 14:53, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 09:11:50AM -0500, Jason Bacon wrote:
2)    Roughly how long does it take to do a bulk build of the entire tree on
a single high-end server?  I was thinking of doing builds on one of our
production clusters, but I'm leaning against it due to some issues with
leakage of Yum packages into certain builds.  I think it would be safer to
do the builds on a dedicated server with a minimal CentOS installation.
Define high-end server :) I have a ~2 year old dual Xeon (8 "real" cores
in total) with 64GB RAM that I use for the clang bulk builds of current.
That can do a full build in about 2 days, give or take. With enough RAM,
you can do a build entirely within tmpfs for the non-persistent data.

I wouldn't worry too much about the base installation in the cluster,
but follow an approach similar to what I am using for all my builds.
Essentially, prepare a reasonable minimalistic CentOS installation,
including gcc and gfortran. Create a tarball from what and use it to
chroots. You'll likely need some additional mount points for /sys, /proc
and /dev, but you will end up with an image that is nicely decoupled
from the actual base installation.

Feel free to contact me (off-list) for further details.

Joerg

Our newest standard cluster nodes are 64 GiB RAM, 24 real cores. ( Two Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz ) We have a few nodes with 256 and 768 GiB RAM as well. I could easily schedule one of those for a couple days for an oocasional bulk build.

I was wondering if there was an easy way to strip down a chroot env, so let's definitely continue the discussion off-list. 2 days isn't a big deal, but with an automated chroot setup, I could even use multiple standard nodes to do nightly builds.

Thanks much,

    JB