Re: Old octave issue

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 08:15:39AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I don't understand the charset.alias issue.   It seems that there's
> something going on with iconv or similar where packages choose to
> install a charset.alias depending on something else.

The something else turned out to be interesting. From:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/tree/modules/localcharset#n45

	if test $(GLIBC21) = no; then \
	  case '$(host_os)' in \
	    darwin[56]*) \
	      need_charset_alias=true ;; \
	    darwin* | cygwin* | mingw* | pw32* | cegcc*) \
	      need_charset_alias=false ;; \
	    *) \
	      need_charset_alias=true ;; \
	  esac ; \
	else \
	  need_charset_alias=false ; \

We seem to have our old friend the hand coded list of operating system names.

> There are two
> approaches to deal with this.   One is to make conditional PLIST entries
> to register the file on platforms that create it.  The other is to
> understand and fix the root cause of the variance.   I think we should
> figure out and fix the issue.  This is partly because I think it will be
> easier in the long run, and partly becuase installation of files that
> aren't about the package itself will lead to odd conflicts.

It appears that the current solution is to not install it by removing
it from the PLIST, as /usr/pkg/lib/charset.alias is listed in
VARNAME=CHECK_FILES_SKIP.

Cheers,

Patrick