Re: pulseaudio and x11/py-qt5

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016, Rhialto wrote:
> Which makes the question: where should I try to re-enable pulseaudio to
> get x11/py-qt5 to link properly? (Or even better, fully get rid of the
> thing?)

I'm curious what you actually settled on and if you were really able to
get shed of PulseAudio. I'm an unapologetic avowed enemy of all things
Pottering, and tied for 2nd place of Shame & Dishonor is Pulseaudio (we
all know systemd dominates an unassailable 1st place). My ghetto solution
which I'd like to dispense with is:

mv /usr/pkg/bin/pulseaudio /usr/pkg/bin/ihate.pulseaudio

Of course that still leaves the contaminate on my systems and linked in
libraries etc... However, at least it doesn't start up every time some
page in Firefox or some Gnome turdlet wants to play sound and clobber my
audio device (and whatever happens to be playing on it, too, which is
weird). For whatever reason, after that happens I end up having to reboot.
No matter what processes I kill, the sound device stays silent. I have a
list of issues with PA as long as my .. ahem... arm, and this list has
already seen them. I don't even care why this bug or others with PA
happen, I just want to run screaming away from Pulseaudio; I don't have
the hubris to try and "fix" and even the workarounds make me feel dirty. I
need to start a 501c called "Neverpottering" or something...

-Swift