Re: linux emulation

FreeBSD has gone to CentOS 6 (100% open source RHEL clone), which I think was a good move. I'm biased toward commercial scientific software, though. ( Matlab, etc. ) The vast majority of commercial Linux software vendors support RHEL 6 (not 7 yet in many cases) above all others. SUSE Enterprise is pretty well supported as well.

Depends on the goals of people running Linux apps, though. E.g. Linux Chrome isn't supported on RHEL because it uses an older kernel and core libs. If the primary goal of Linux compatibility is to watch Netflix and Flash videos on a NetBSD box, then go with Debian or something else more cutting-edge.

Regards,

    Jason