postfix and shared libraries on netbsd-5

mail/postfix won't build on netbsd-5, complaining about a lack of shared
libraries.  But I know NetBSD 5 supports shared libraries.  (I think
NetBSD 0.8 had shared libraries, but my memory of those details is
fading.)

Reading 'makedefs', there are entries for netbsd 6 and 7 that look the
same.   I'm going to try copying that, but since we are in freeze, I
wonder:

  is anybody else seeing this?

  has anyone built or failed to build postfix on -current?