Re: pkg_alternatives wrapper program doesn't work in script shebang

* On 2016-02-25 at 16:27 GMT, J. Lewis Muir wrote:

> I can't use a pkg_alternatives wrapper program in a script shebang.
> I think this is because my OS requires the shebang interpreter to be
> a compiled binary, not another shebang program (which the wrapper
> program is).  Is this the intended behavior for pkg_alternatives
> wrapper programs?

Yeh, we ran into this a few years ago on SmartOS too.

> One solution would be to convert the pkg_alternatives wrapper program
> into a C program that is compiled into a binary.  Or, it could be a
> really simple C program that just execs the existing wrapper script.

Right, something like this would be good, but as yet the demand hasn't
been enough for us to spend time on it.  It would be great if someone
wants to work on this.  I'd personally like to see a simpler and more
intuitive front-end too, as I find pkg_alternatives impossible to use
without referring to the manual page every time.