Re: Build of firefox with alsa option fails

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016, coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost wrote:
I think most of the hate originates from its initial introduction, it was added to Ubuntu (and maybe other Linux distributions) at a stage when it was not good, and cause similar performance problems to what we experienced before - high CPU usage.

That and a whole lot of other problems. I work with sound a lot. I'm not a sound engineer, but I do a lot of amateur recording. Trust me, it's still very sub-par and broken. I have an Ubuntu 'Vivid Vervet' 15.04 released last April, that still has significant problems with stability, memory usage, and especially with advanced recording features it's supposed to support.

People got to know PulseAudio as the thing that uses up all the resources and has to be killed, or the thing that broke their audio setup.

True. The problem I have is - it's still "the thing that makes my desktop suck" since I'm a heavy audio user.

It takes a lot of convincing to change such a bad image.

Your point is true. IMHO, however, it's still bad. As I've said before, folks act like it's all past-tense. At least in my case, it's current reality.

Call me a hater, but I have plenty of facts to back up my assertions on this one. They are personal and anecdotal, yes. I didn't my testing in a lab with Lennart looking over my shoulder, but it still matters to me. :-)

-Swift

For reference: https://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2015/12/23/msg017533.html