Re: Can pkgin and pkgsrc (binary and source) cooperate better?

* On 2015-11-02 at 02:46 GMT, Mayuresh wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 01, 2015 at 10:24:32PM +0300, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> > Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:
> >
> > > Build from source is more relevant when A. A binary package is not
> > > available B. You want to configure options.
> > >
> > > If above is not the case, a binary package helps you quickly get going.
> > >
> > > Particularly when you are in situation where you are building something
> > > like libreoffice after a long time and most of the dependencies need
> > > upgrade, you wish some of the packages could be readily installed as
> > > binary.
> >
> > DEPENDS_TARGET= bin-install
> >
> > and set BINPKG_SITES accordingly. Yet this won't help when the rebuild is forced.
>
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> I did some experiments with a mixture of pkgsrc and pkgin. I realize, it
> is possible (do not know how) for binaries / libraries to go out of sync.
> I ran into core dumps etc.
>
> Haven't analyzed in detail like which library it was and whether a
> dependency was missing etc.
>
> However looks like pkgin makes sense if binary repository is kept up to
> date.

If you are going this route you need to ensure that you use identical
options to the remote binary package repository that you are using,
especially in areas such as X11_TYPE.  If not, then it's possible you
will see issues when the wrong libraries are being picked up.

We help this work correctly for our builds by publishing all our
configuration to our 'pkgbuild' repository, along with tools for
setting up build sandboxes to configure everything exactly as we do
for our binaries.

> Also, curious whether there are stable quarterly binary repositories. I
> could not find one. (And also if it exists, whether it will be complete
> and consistent.)

You haven't said what platform you are on, but I announce quarterly
repos for illumos, OSX, and occasionally Linux, to this list.