Re: oss option for firefox, was: nspluginwrapper and libflashsupport updates for adobe-flash-plugin

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 07:27:33AM +0000, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> On 29 October 2015 at 18:57, Onno van der Linden
> <o.vd.linden%quicknet.nl@localhost> wrote:
> > Yes, it's possible to use the oss backend of firefox.
> > See pkg/50306 (http://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=50306)
> > for the stuff I've been using. Depending on the firefox version
> > you might wanna change/add some of the media.* defaults via
> > about:config.
>
> But in your bug report you wrote:
> [quote]
> And after compiling the firefox package I now have a somewhat
> decent sound with html5 videos. No, not perfect because
> sometimes when switching videos the new video plays without
> sound.
> [end quote]
>
> Are you still experiencing this issue?

All the "without sound" trouble I had seems to be related
to the implementation of MSE (Media Source Extension) in
firefox, not the choice of OSS or pulseaudio backend.
Some of the html5 stuff on youtube works fine
(including stopping and starting) others don't (depending
on your media.fragmented-mp4.* options you get "unexpected error"
and you'll have to hit F5 to get a fallback to flash video or
you get a video straight away but an annoying continuous
beep as sound).

> If not, I'd suggest that this be propagated to vanilla Makefile as a
> default option.

Either that or just add it as an option where people
have to specify PKG_OPTIONS.firefox=-pulseaudio oss
in /etc/mk.conf.

> (I've copied Ryo and pkgsrc-users in)
>
> And what parameters did you change in about:config?

That was MSE related in an attempt to get html5 working.
There are several media.fragmented-mp4.* options.

Onno