Re: pkgsrc and Xcode 7.0

* On 2015-09-24 at 16:10 BST, Jan Danielsson wrote:

> On 24/09/15 11:33, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> [---]
> > If you go the Command Line Tools route you will probably also want:
> >
> >   https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/commit/c1711e89
> >
> > The current setup is incredibly pessimistic with the missing SDK, with
> > each Xcode command taking around 3 seconds to fail, and it appears the
> > negative result isn't cached in xcrun_db.  This is adding many hours
> > to a pbulk-scan run.
>
>    A fine mess Apple seems to have created..
>
>    I have to admit, I'm slightly surprised by the "install the command
> line tools to get XCode 7 builds working", because I have assumed that
> the command line tools were always required for pkgsrc.  Is that not the
> case?

Not since this commit nearly 2 years ago:

  https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/commit/06d534d

I hadn't installed Command Line Tools on my hosts until this mess.

>    If pkgsrc should be able to use XCode without the command line tools,
> it should perhaps be pointed out that someone complained that otool was
> gone from XCode 7 as well.  (And someone else said "no, it's there, but
> it's just not made easily available without the command line tools
> installed).
>
>    mk/platform/Darwin.mk defaults LDD to "/usr/bin/otool -L", which
> (presumably) only works with the CLT installed.
>
>    Anyone with XCode 7, but without the CLT, who can check if otool is
> gone from /usr/bin?

I've since installed Command Line Tools on all my Yosemite hosts so
can't check this unfortunately, but would certainly be interested if
this turns out to be the case.