Re: How to express package dependency that doesn't require updating?

* On 2015-09-07 at 07:40 BST, David Shao wrote:

> I would like to have the line
>
> CONFIGURE_ARGS+=    --with-pciids-path=${PREFIX}/share/pciids
>
> added to the Makefile for libpciaccess, but I would like libpciaccess
> to only care that misc/pciids is installed and not update as a
> dependency when pciids is updated with say:
>
> pkg_rolling-replace -suv

There is currently no way to do this from a framework point of view,
but one option would be to use an inplace build of pciids and include
it statically in libpciaccess.  See the various inplace.mk files we
have for an idea of how to do this.

A better option may be to just update pciids once per quarter just
before we branch, ensuring each branch gets the latest updates, as
you'll be rebuilding all packages for the branch anyway.