Re: Finch and X11

On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 06:16:28PM -0400, Michael McConville wrote:
> It seems to me that GStreamer should be disabled by default for Finch.

I agree.

> I'm a GSoC student with Pidgin/Finch/libpurple, and we were just talking
> yesterday about where/when GStreamer is actually required. As far as we
> can tell, it's only needed for voice/video support and sound (e.g.
> notification chimes).

How about splitting out that code into a separate optional "plugin",
i.e. a .so that is loaded and used for this if present, but ignored
if missing?

Then we could have a finch pkg and a finch-gstreamer-chimes pkg (or whatever
you'd call it).

For the default value of the option: you are probably right, but I am not
sure of our policies for changing such defaults - Greg, can you comment?

Martin