Re: Moving pkgsrc-wip away from SourceForge

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:18:26 -0400
Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Subversion? Please, no.
>
> While chewing on razer blades is probably a safer and more pleasant
> experience than GIT, subversion still manages to be worse.

Hyperbole aside...

> I've, on multiple occasions found my day job being spent trying to
> disentangle the mess the developers made of their SVN repository.
> Specifically:
>
> - SVN is not atomic; the sequence "pull ; edit ; build ; push" offers
> no guarantee that the tree is left in a buildable state.
> While other DVCS will reject the push if the repo has changed, SVN
> does not - this is by design

Not true.  If I try to commit a change and the file on the repo has
changed it won't let me.  It may be that other files in the repo have
changed but if I had to make sure that every file in my copy was up to
date before committing I could have a real problem on a large system
with lots of developers working on different parts of the tree.

> - SVN is for ever trying to phone home
> The D in DVCS is Distributed.  You shouldn't need to be connected to
> do work.

For some use cases.  It's not a universal requirement.

> - SVN has no real underlying branch/tag framework behind it; instead
> there is just free form directory naming conventions
> Like any good convention, there's more than one to choose from; and
> projects do just that.  This really comes to a head when you try to
> migrate out any sort of history out of SVN and back into something
> even vaguely sane.

There are best practices that work just fine.  I am sure that someone
blindly using the tool without doing any research can mess things up
but that's probably true of any tool.

> - As a corollary of the above, SVN lets you change everything, at once
> While CVS, GIT, et.al. all have the convention of: checkout a branch;
> change branch; commit/push/...; SVN (the tool), for what ever reason,
> seems to encourage developers to checkout a single copy of the entire
> tree (branches, tags, and all) and then just hack stuff randomly.

Have you used SVN?  I check out subsets of the repo all the time.  I
can also check out a specific branch and work on that.  In fact, I have
heard git users complain about the fact that it *doesn't* check out the
entire tree.  It only checks out the branch (usually HEAD) that is
being requested.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost