Re: small chat server?

I would recommend jabberd2 vs 1.4, as the 1.4 is out of date and it
seems no one who uses it has the desire/cycles/ability simultaneously to
udpate it.

jabberd2 is really not that bloated; sqlite is no longer a big deal and
I have it running on a small VM probably with 512M, and I bet it doesn't
even need that.

multiuser chat is harder/flakie, but see chat/mu-conference.

others recommend ejabberd.  I have not tried it, partly because no
ejabberd fans have explained to me how to do multi-user chat with it.