Re: non-root package-building sandbox?

[My apologies for failing to CC the list on first reply.]

On Thu, 07 May 2015 15:45:31 -0500 Jason Bacon <jwbacon%tds.net@localhost> wrote:
> I would think you could bootstrap a separate pkgsrc tree as a
> non-root user.  I do this all the time, but on CentOS and Darwin. I
> don't see why it couldn't work on NetBSD as well, though.
>
> I use a wrapper script to automate the bootstrap process, which
> allows me to easily maintain multiple trees on the same system. You
> can find the script here: http://acadix.biz/pkgsrc.php

Thanks, that seems like a good solution, particularly since it looks
like it lets me use tools from outside the tree while working in it,
which would be helpful while debugging.  I have two questions:
- the script sets up some shell initialisation code in
  ${sys-prefix}/etc/shrc, but I'm not sure how that would get
  executed.  Do you just manually source this file when you're going to
  be working inside the tree, or is there some magic I missed out on?
- can packages built in such a tree then be installed as root
  under /usr/pkg?  That would be ideal, in that I could do all the
  debugging, testing and compilation as an ordinary user, and then su
  root (and touch my main system) only for the final package installation
  step.

--
IDL