Re: MesaLib and xorg-server updates

Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> Over the weekend I intend to update pkgsrc's MesaLib and xorg-server
> with versions from wip. I am currently applying upstream patches to
> xf86-video-* packages to make them compatible with server 1.17 and
> fixing build issues on the platforms I have access to.
>
> Please note that this update will remove legacy DRI support. Let me
> know if you would like to have the old MesaLib and server packages
> re-imported under alternate names. I will gladly do so but only if
> there is interest.

Can you explain what "remove legacy DRI support" means?   It seems like
what's in pkgsrc should  least  work with various vintages of X servers
on various platforms.  If this is just loss of an older acceleration
style, that's one thing.  But if it means you can't reasonably run
signficant programs unless you have a new-style xserver, that seems not
ok.

(I am pretty fuzzy on all this DRI/DRM/KMS stuff.  My QDSS on a uVax II
with X10 was so much simpler...)