Re: multimedia/ffmpeg2 static option

Mansour Moufid <mansourmoufid%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 14:29:54 -0500
> Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Are the desire to not build static libraries and the darwin issues
>> separate?  It seems awkward to (almost) duplicate the PLIST, when
>> really this is a fairly normal shlib naming issue that occurs in many
>> packages.
>
> Yes, they're related.  When I try to build a package (OpenCV) which
> depends on FFmpeg, I get linker errors, like libfaac symbols not found.
> I can build OpenCV manually just fine if I have pkg-config, but that's
> another headache...  So I just let the dynamic linker do the work.

I was asking because your patch has two changes, and I only like to
commit things that are single changes.  (That's not a hard rule for
NetBSD.)

It strikes me as a bug in opencv (or the packaging of it) if the
presence of static libraries causes issues.  Without understanding the
details, my initial reaction is that it's better to fix that bug.

What is wrong with pkg-config?  That's used by many packages and
generally works.