Re: devel/boost-libs not MAKE_JOBS_SAFE?

"John D. Baker" <jdbaker%mylinuxisp.com@localhost> writes:

> Rebuilding "devel/boost-libs" on macppc-7.99.4 failed with "internal
> compiler error: Segmentation fault" on several source files, although
> the build as a whole would not fail until the very end.
>
> I have MAKE_JOBS set to 2 (actually "sysctl -n hw.ncpu + 1").  When I
> forced:
>
>   $ make MAKE_JOBS=1
>
> building completed successfully.  Perhaps with MAKE_JOBS > 1, two
> instances of the compiler were trying to compile the same source?
>
> I haven't seen this on i386 or amd64 where I have MAKE_JOBS set in
> similar fashion.

This is curious; you're reporting problems in two cases where it seems
arch-specific that MAKE_JOBS needs to be 1, but it's not really clear
that there is a parellel make bug.  I wonder if the problem is that
you're running out of RAM, in which case the right fix is for you to add
swapor set MAKE_JOBS to 1, rather than marking packages
MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=no.

I tried to build iso-codes with crazy MAKE_JOBS (8, 16, 24 - ok 8 is not
crazy) on a 4-core i386 machine and it worked every time.

Do you have swap?  Are you sure you aren't running out?