Re: www/ap2-wsgi (apache mod_wsgi): unable to find pkgsrc python2.7 on system with native python2.7

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 06:32:06PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Matthias Ferdinand <mf+ml.pkgsrc-users%netzwerkagentursaarland.de@localhost>
> writes:
>
> > It is strange that mod_wsgi searches for a "python" executable, even
> > though it was provided with a full path to it at compile time
> > (CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --with-python=${PYTHONBIN:Q} ). And then there is also
> > the explicit "python-path" setting in the configuration, obviating the
> > need for autodetection.
>
> You have made a good case that mod_wsgi is broken; it should at most
> validate the python path it was passed.  You could patch it to do that.

Already tried for quite a bit to find the relevant piece of code. I
could not even find where the --with-python=... setting is used (it sets
the PYTHON variable in Makefile, but no other file contains that string
or uses that Makefile variable afaict). I also don't quite understand
the initialization of embedded python, but I think the path searching is
not in mod_wsgi, but in (lib)python proper. Process management is done
by apache and apr, also not easy to follow. So I had hoped somebody with
better knowledge of python innards could shed some light here.

Regards
Matthias