xfce4 can't read USB keys or CDs

I've installed the xfce4 package on a NetBSD/amd64 6.1.5 machine by downloading it and its dependencies using pkg_fetch from ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/6.1.5/All and then installing it with `pkg_add xfce4'

I've discovered its File Manager won't show the contents of a CD or USB key (the one I tried has a FAT32 file system).

When the USB key is inserted its volume name is displayed in File Manager's left pane but when it's clicked a window containing this appears:

Failed to mount "Name-of-USB-volume".

Method "mount" with signature "ssas" on interface
"org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" doesn't exist.

When a CD is inserted and File Manager's "CD-ROM Disc" entry in the left pane is clicked, this error appears:

Failed to mount "CD-ROM Disc".

Given device "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/
cd0d" is not a volume or drive.

Have I omitted to do something obvious?

Ray