What's the relationship between wip and pkgsrc branches?

Hello,

I would like to start playing with pkgsrc-wip, although there are a
couple of questions that puzzle me.

For example, my understanding is that the release of a new pkgsrc-wip
snapshot is not necessarily synced to a -current release and obviously
not a to a quarterly release.

Is therefore pkgsrc-wip branch-independent, or, due to its inherently
unstable and volatile nature, does it assume that you are using the
current branch?

Would pkgsrc-wip work or make sense also with a stable quarterly release?

Or have I just missed the point?

--
Ottavio