Re: Package with changed PLIST can't be updated?

> Some time ago, the gcc48 package was split into more packages, and the
> updater didn't know that either.

> Just delete ruby193-subversion or gcc48 and try again, and it should
> be fine.
>  Thomas

Error message was devious, so I thought it was a changed PLIST rather than
renamed or split package.

I ran pkg_delete -f ruby193-subversion
and then built and installed ruby200-subversion successfully.

I also ran
make update
in lang/gcc48
successfully.

So I'm now trying pkg_rolling-replace again, it's going to the previously
failed update of gcc-aux.

If that fails, I'll add -X gcc-aux to pigeonhole that part for later but not
stop other packages.

FreeBSD ports has better tools for name changes and moved ports, with
portmaster and portupgrade:

portmaster -o ruby200-subversion ruby193-subversion
(similar with portupgrade), also
pkg set -o ruby193-subversion:ruby200-subversion
before upgrading.

That's the idea, though FreeBSD ports' names are not in sync with NetBSD pkgsrc.

I say this not to make NetBSD with pkgsrc look bad, but part of marketing in
the commercial world is keeping up with what competing businesses are doing,
and I think this idea applies to open-source software as well.

I had thought of updating my USB-stick installation of NetBSD 6.1_STABLE i386
(8 GB), dating to June 2013, then pkg_rolling-replace because of print/cups and
print/hplip, but now I think I can better make a list of packages (/var/db/pkg
or /usr/packages/All) and build fresh on NetBSD-current amd64 or i386, hard
drive or 16 GB USB stick.

hplip didn't work on my printer, also mouse in X would move only horizontally
and not vertically, great frustration after I built and installed modular Xorg,
icewm and firefox.

On my first email not reaching the list, I noticed from
www.netbsd.org/mailinglists that pkgsrc-users got no new messages on June 14,
so maybe that list was temporarily not working.

My NetBSD installation is not yet fully functional for email.  I have msmtp and
mpop but nothing else, and don't have the certs yet: needed on
AT&T/Yahoo/Bellsouth but not twc.com .  My ISP is now Time Warner Cable, was
formerly bellsouth.net .

Tom