Re: Why libreoffice4 and libreoffice4-bin?

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> On 12 April 2014 16:25, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:
>>
>>> From the perspective of somebody like me who prefers to install ready
>>> made binaries over compiling from source, I don't understand why to
>>> install libreoffice4-bin (a Linux binary) over libreoffice4, which is,
>>> too, available in binary.
>>>
>>> If a clear difference exists, it should be made clear in either the
>>> README.html or the DESCR file.
>>
>> One is a package of a Linux binary, which runs on a very small set of
>> OS/cpu combinations.  The other is a normal package, built with our
>> tools for arbitrary platform/cpu combinations (some of which surely
>> don't work).
>
> On a amd64 host, what difference would be expected in terms of
> performance and functionality, if any?

Presumably you are talking about NetBSD/amd64.  In theory they will work
about the same.  In practice one could run into bugs in our Linux
emulation, or bugs in libreoffice when built native, or both.
And, you could patch the source on libreoffice but not libreoffice-bin,
if you needed to.