pkgin comments (mostly doc)

First, thanks for everyone who has worked on pkgin.  I tried it recently
for the first time, with jperkin's mac builds.

Reading the man page, I see the following missing information (and I
really don't know the answers):

  - There is some database (pkgin update), but I don't know where it is
    stored.

  - It's not clear what giving a list of packages to fug or ug does.

  - It's not clear what 'pkgin upgrade' does to packages that depend on
    a package that's being upgraded.

  - Packages are downloaded to someplace, and cached.  I don't know
    where, how to control the location, whether there's a way to control
    the size, and whether there is any autocleaning of things that are
    obsolete (no longer in the current remote summary?).  Presumably
    clean removes them all.

  - The "keepable" notion seems obviously to be (not) "automatic=YES".
    Is it really just doing that?  If not, is there a separate database,
    and why?

  - I don't really understand the notion of "upgrade" as only being
    about "keepable" packages.   Why would someone want to upgrade those
    only, but not dependencies?

Comments other than the man page:

  - There doesn't seem to be a way to list packages which are
    automatic=YES (non-keepable) and not required, but "pkgin -n ar"
    seems to do this.

  - sometimes packages are listed in wrapped form, rather than one per
    line.  I find that unhelpful, as it's much harder to scan

  - It would be nice if the upgrade operation set the unsafe_depends
    flag, like pkgsrc's make replace, to ease interoperation of pkg_rr
    and pkgin in a mixed source/binary environment.   Perhaps pkgin
    could essentially get pkg_rr functionality.

  - It would be nice if somehow one could set DEPENDS_TARGET=pkgin so
    that a dependency would be installed via pkgin if possible when
    building from source.