Re: lang/python27: (patch) RPATH breaking build with previous installed python27

On Mon 17 Feb 2014 at 00:47:44 +0100, Matthias Ferdinand wrote:
> See here for a nice summary of the RPATH vs. LD_LIBRARY_PATH problem:
> http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/LD-LIBRARY-PATH-versus-rpath-td2017872.html

Well, global library search paths suck (be it via LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
ldconfig or whatever). When I was admining a FreeBSD system I had to
report a bug because of that. There were 2 gcc installs that both had
some shared object that had the same name, but they were not compatible.
However, because of global search paths, only one of the two was found
so if it was the other that was needed... it failed. This is unfixable
with global search paths.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/129518

Even local search paths can have the same issue (but more rarely), in
which case the only fix would be to record absolute paths of desired
shared objects and libraries.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'