Defaults build options

Hello,

   I've been under the impression that a philosophy of pkgsrc is to not
change the defaults of packages, apart for adjusting for build
dependencies/features and locations.

   For instance: When I start vim on different linux distros with
different package managers, I never know how vim will behave, but when I
build vim from pkgsrc, it has behaved very much like when I build vim
from the official tarballs.

   A recent PR got me thinking; is the reason pkgsrc packages often tend
to look/feel/behave like the "default tarball" an explicit goal, or is
it just a side-effect of one or any of:
   - too few maintainers to maintain a set of "pkgsrc style
configurations" for packages.
   - it would be impossible to reach consensus for how the
pkgsrc-specific configurations should look, so no one has actually dared
to try.

   .. ?

   /Jan