Fontconfig error building cairo

I can't build cairo (and hence many other packages) on my NetBSD
current system due to a fontconfig error.

checking whether cairo's FreeType font backend feature could be
enabled... yes checking for cairo's Fontconfig font backend feature...
checking for FONTCONFIG... no
checking whether cairo's Fontconfig font backend feature could be
enabled... no (requires fontconfig >= 2.2.95) configure: error:
Fontconfig font backend feature could not be enabled *** Error code 1

The relevant section of config.log shows this.

configure:29913: checking for FONTCONFIG
configure:29920: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "$fc_REQUIRES"
Package fontconfig was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fontconfig.pc'
No package 'fontconfig' found

I tried creating PKG_CONFIG_PATH as it suggested but no love.  Here is
a test of pkg-config from the command line.

# pkg-config --exists --print-errors "fontconfig >= 2.2.95" && echo OK
OK

Anyone know what's broken here?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>