py27-matplotlib graphics output?

I'm no python programmer...  I'm however trying to use a script
which is using the py27-matplotlib library.  That script fails to
initialize and dumps the stack which ends in

  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/", line 97, in
    _backend_mod, new_figure_manager, draw_if_interactive, _show = pylab_setup()
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/",
line 25, in pylab_setup
line 11, in <module>
    import matplotlib.backends.tkagg as tkagg
  File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/",
line 2, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends import _tkagg
ImportError: cannot import name _tkagg

In pkgsrc' graphics/py-matplotlib/Makefile I find

        ( echo "[directories]"; \
        echo "basedirlist=/usr"; \
        echo "[gui_support]"; \
        echo "gtk = False"; \
        echo "gtkagg = False"; \
        echo "tkagg = False"; \
        echo "wxagg = False" ) > ${WRKSRC}/setup.cfg

Does that mean that no graphical backend is enabled, and that I
need to re-build from source to use one of the graphical
backends?!?  If that isn't necessary, what do I need to do to fix
this error?

- Håvard