Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/subversion16-base

From: Greg Troxel <>, Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2013 09:02:44

> I have no objection to you adding svn 1.6, but I'm curious why.  I know
> this request is beyond our documented norms, but it would be nice to
> expand the comment in DESCR to note that 1.6 is not the
> upstream-recommended version, explain why 1.6 is useful/necessary (is
> there something wrong with 1.7?  is this just for people in managed
> environments who haven't decided to upgrade?),
> Where I'm coming from is that I see pkgsrc as doing two things for
> users: one is wrangling builds so that 'make package-install' is all it
> takes, and the other is making choices about what version is in the best
> interests of the broad user base.
> In the subversion case, it took a while to figure out what the
> recommendations are, but I found:
> which says basically that 1.7 is current and 1.6 is security fix only.
> (I'm posting this in public only because I think pkgsrc in general would
> benefit from having this kind of guidance in DESCR, whenever there are
> multiple pacakged versions.)

subversion 1.7.x has only one .svn directory and the contents of
.svn directory have changed.
This is the reason why I have added subversion16.
I should write this in commit log.

The upstream may think this change is trivial.
But I feel it is not trivial.

Thank you.

PGP fingerprint = 82A2 DC91 76E0 A10A 8ABB  FD1B F404 27FA C7D1 15F3