Re: Why did devel/bison grow a dependency on xz?

David Brownlee writes:
- I count 95 packages which set EXTRACT_SUFX=.tar.xz, including bison,
- automake, gtk2. It you don't hit it on bison I suspect you'd hit it on
- another package later, and the chances of that are going to go up over
- time as the number of tar.xz packages increase.

Do we want such "core" packages as bison, autoconf, gcc and friends
depending on xz?

It seems like a bad idea for the proprietary platforms that pkgsrc
runs on.  Especially if it won't build with the default compilers
on those systems. (and the GCC_REQD seems to imply it won't.)

Just trying to keep in mind that pkgsrc is meant for (and used
on) more than NetBSD-recent.

--
Eric Schnoebelen                eric%cirr.com@localhost
http://www.cirr.com