Re: python25 removed

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 08:59:12AM +0200, John Marino wrote:
> After I mentioned last week that Python 25 was going away, a
> DragonFly user asked me on IRC what the justification for keeping
> Python26 in pkgsrc was.  Apparently there is very little API
> difference between 2.6 and 2.7.x, and likely all packages that build
> for 2.6 would build for 2.7 (perhaps with minor tweaks in a very few
> cases).
>
> I couldn't answer him, but I think it's a good question.  What is
> the justification for python 2.6 especially given python 2.7.x will
> be a very long term version?

Good question.

pkgsrc itself currently has three packages that claim to only work
with python26, but these claims could of course be outdated (I haven't
checked them):

lang/py-psyco/Makefile:PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=      26
sysutils/salt/Makefile:PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=       26
textproc/py-pdf-parser/Makefile:PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=     26

Python org claims they will provide security fixes for it until
October 2013, but we can of course deprecate it earlier.

Does anyone know of a reason why it should stay?
 Thomas