Building modular-xorg from pkgsrc: x11-links dependency is poison

I built and installed NetBSD 5.1_STABLE i386, cross-compiling from FreeBSD
9.0-STABLE, installing on an 8 GB USB stick with sysinst.  It booted
successfully.

I also intended to build NetBSD 5.1_STABLE amd64 and subsequently netbsd-6 and
HEAD for both i386 and amd64.

I didn't build the xsrc because I wanted the modular pkgsrc xorg instead
(can't have both, can I?)

I successfully installed pkg_install and pkg_developer but then hit a stone
wall with modular-xorg.

x11-links was a dependency of some sub-package, but then I got the message that
modular xorg can't build with x11-links, can't have anything to do with
x11-links.

If there is such a problem, how is anybody supposed to build modular-xorg on
NetBSD.  Is there a bug in the pkgsrc implementation of modular-xorg?  Possibly
a file x11.buildlink3.mk where it shouldn't be?

I have X11_TYPE=modular in /etc/mk.conf .

Do I need to switch to native Xorg?

I have the short log file, error showed in just a few seconds:

WARNING: [license.mk] Every package should define a LICENSE.
===> Installing dependencies for modular-xorg-1.1
=> Full dependency modular-xorg-libs>=1.0: NOT found
=> Verifying package-install for ../../meta-pkgs/modular-xorg-libs
WARNING: [license.mk] Every package should define a LICENSE.
===> Installing dependencies for modular-xorg-libs-1.0nb3
=> Build dependency x11-links>=0.70: NOT found
=> Verifying package-install for ../../pkgtools/x11-links
ERROR: This package has set PKG_FAIL_REASON:
ERROR: x11-links-0.70 should only be used with X11_TYPE=native.
ERROR: Do not include x11.buildlink3.mk for X11_TYPE != "native".
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /mnt2/pkgsrc/pkgtools/x11-links
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /mnt2/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/modular-xorg-libs
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /mnt2/pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/modular-xorg

Tom