RE: tcsh pkg difference

Dynamically linking to /usr{,/pkg} can be dangerous in an emergency.

http://www.roble.com/docs/sol_root_shell.html

In light of 3TB SSDs as the standard volume size in most LUNs, and Virtualized root disks, its less of a concern but your situation may vary.

I still separate /usr because of /usr/pkg’s tendency to grow, but on GNU/Linux, I don’t consider it because only /var and /boot are growth candidates (outside of /opt)

--

Brian A Seklecki <bseklecki%fedex.com@localhost>

Systems Programmer

FedEx Services