Illegal variable name (Re: pbulk build problem?

Sorry to respond to somewhat old mail:

| To: pkgsrc-users%NetBSD.org@localhost
| From: Bob Nestor <rnestor%mac.com@localhost>
| Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 19:57:58 -0500

> However, this produces an error "Illegal variable name" in almost every
> package it attempts to build.

I've got exactly the same problem recently even twice.
The first time was gone by starting from scratch. I did NOT
figure out what was wrong.

The second time, I now know the problem. csh flags this line
when evaluating variable $@.
The problem is:
-------
% csh
% echo $@
Illegal variable name.
-------
While if it is /bin/sh,
-------
% sh
$ echo $@

$
-------
This means (at least to me), I had some trick to my shell.
I had carefully checked my shell environment in chrooted pbulk,
and this issue resolved.

I am writing this mail mainly for my record. I may have the same
thing in the future ;-(
---
Makoto Fujiwara,
Chiba, Japan, Narita Airport and Disneyland prefecture.