Re: Is it a must to keep kernel up-to-date for -current pkgsrc user?

> But what about the scenario mentioned in above document that something
> changes in pkgsrc that requires something new (such as system call) in
> the kernel?

Unlike most other packaging systems pkgsrc is portable.
NetBSD is not the only system supported by pkgsrc.
At least older releases on NetBSD are fully supported.
Of course I mean stable branches of pkgsrc ;-)

> If so, this sounds very interesting to me coming from Linux binary distro
> background where for every upgrade I download a big iso, burn a dvd and go
> through some upgrade rituals no matter whether some of the application
> versions required upgrade or not.
In Linux world it is better to run
   apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade
   yum upgrade
   zypper do-not-remember-what

The same in NetBSD unless you use current

   nih refresh; nih update

pkgin is another option

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.