Re: wrappers vs. -I, was: Re: error building pkgsrc/graphics/netpbm on OS X

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:42:18PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

 > > > OK, let's ask the other way 'round:
 > > > Any objections to committing the patch below?
 > >
 > > Assuming the -P option of pwd means what it does elsewhere, that
 > > meaning can be summarized as "please work properly" so that seems like
 > > a fine thing.
 >
 > I disagree with that assessment. The problem is that it is too general
 > and can break some natural things. E.g.
 >      test $(pwd -P) = $(cd $(pwd -P)/foo && cd .. && pwd -P)
 > is not invariant any longer.

That's not invariant anyway. There are plenty of systems where the pwd
-P behavior is the default, such as NetBSD. The ksh behavior of lying
to you via $PWD is a bug, plain and simple.

 > > not sure if it's a good idea during the freeze though.
 >
 > Certainly not.

Well, as I recall it's wanted to fix build problems.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost