packages going to the wrong place?

I'm trying to reinstall all of my packages, but the installations
seems to be going to the wrong place.  Here's a typical line from
doing a 'make update' in pkgtools/pkg_install:

        /usr/bin/install -c -o root -g wheel pkg_info
/usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install/work/.destdir/usr/pkg/sbin/pkg_info

I don't think there's anything strange in my mk.conf file, just
options, version, and license settings for assorted miscellaneous
packages.  The system is amd64/5.1_STABLE from Dec 30; I'm using
fresh pkgsrc HEAD.

Suggestions?