Re: cannot find -lX11

On 3 May 2011 19:32, Iain Morgan <Iain.Morgan%nasa.gov@localhost> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 17:49:10 -0500, David Brownlee wrote:
>> On 9 March 2011 01:41, Iain Morgan <Iain.Morgan%nasa.gov@localhost> wrote:
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > I'm new to pkgsrc (I've only been playing around with it for a few days)
>> > but I seem to have run into a problem with it on an x86_64 SLES 10
>> > (Linux) system. From various searches, it looks like this problem has
>> > cropped up before, but I haven't seen a solution.
>> >
>> > For whatever reason, the build process does not seem to be correctly
>> > linking
>> > against libX11.so. I note for example that ~/pkg/share/x11-links/ has lib/
>> > directory containing symlinks to the systems's 32-bit libraries, but there
>> > isn't
>> > a lib64 directory.
[...]
>> Did you ever resolve this? Just tried building graphics/aalib on a
>> RHEL x86_64 system without issues (as a lightly related datapoint).
>
> No, I never found a satisfactory solution. I eventually had to abandon
> plans to use pkgsrc; partly due to this issue.  I'm intrigued that it
> worked for you. Which version of RHEL were you using?

x86_64 for both
- CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.6 (Tikanga)

> When I get some free time, I'll have to try it with a newer SLES release
> and also with RHEL 6.
>
> The intent was to use pkgsrc as a secondary package management system.
> Besides the issue which I mentioned in my original email, I didn't see a
> realistic means of making pkgsrc aware of dependencies that were
> satisfied by the native RPMs installed on the system. That may have
> simply been due to lack of familiarity with pkgsrc.

Thats exactly what we're using pkgsrc for here (secondary package
system). That allows us to
easily add a bunch of 'monitoring/sysadmin' tools onto the systems
without impacting the base
installs.

currently that includes fping, munin, unison, p7zip, perl-5.12.2,
p5-Moose & p5-Rose-DB-Object

Note that we've not tried hard to make it use the base Linux depends -
we just have it using
modular-x11 specifically so we don't have to worry about updating an
rpm causing an issue
with pkgsrc and an rpm .so ABI change or similar.