Circular dependency while bootstrapping (qemu arm scratchbox)

I've been trying to bootstrap pkgsrc inside a scratchbox environment
for building software for a Chumby[1]. The host is a Debian (x86)
machine, scratchbox target is qemu for Linux on arm. I've changed
various things to get around various problems including setting:

        need_bsd_install=yes
        need_awk=yes
        need_sed=yes
        need_ksh=yes

Now it builds mk-files, bmake, libnbcompat, ksh, awk, sed, and
pkgtools, but in the end, running build_package
"pkgtools/bootstrap-mk-files", ends up with this:

===> Installing packages 8322
===> running: (cd /home/blades/pkgsrc/pkgtools/bootstrap-mk-files &&
/home/blades/pkgsrc/bootstrap/work/bin/bmake  -DPKG_PRESERVE
MAKECONF=/home/blades/pkgsrc/bootstrap/work/mk.conf install)
===> Installing dependencies for bootstrap-mk-files-20090807nb2
qemu: Unsupported syscall: 359
=> Build dependency coreutils>=5.2.1: NOT found
=> Verifying reinstall for ../../sysutils/coreutils
qemu: Unsupported syscall: 359
=> Bootstrap dependency digest>=20010302: NOT found
=> Verifying reinstall for ../../pkgtools/digest
===> Skipping vulnerability checks.
WARNING: No /psp/var/db/pkg/pkg-vulnerabilities file found.
WARNING: To fix run:
`/home/blades/pkgsrc/bootstrap/work/sbin/pkg_admin -K /psp/var/db/pkg
fetch-pkg-vulnerabilities'.
===> Installing dependencies for digest-20080510
qemu: Unsupported syscall: 359
=> Build dependency diffutils>=2.8.1: NOT found
=> Verifying reinstall for ../../devel/diffutils
qemu: Unsupported syscall: 359
=> Bootstrap dependency digest>=20010302: NOT found
=> Verifying reinstall for ../../pkgtools/digest
ERROR: This package has set PKG_FAIL_REASON:
ERROR: Circular dependency detected

I don't know what the syscall that qemu is missing is, Googling says
others are ignoring that.I don't understand the dependency generation
well enough to figure out what causes this thing in the end. It seems
it's not even trying to fetch/build anything yet.

I've captured the full output from the bootstrap run as well[2].

[1] http://wiki.chumby.com/index.php/Scratchbox
[2]
https://sites.google.com/site/realblades/code/chumby/strap.out?attredirects=0&d=1

--
I appear to be temporarily using gmail's horrible interface. I
apologise for any failure in my part in trying to make it do the right