Re: RFC: nih - package manager for pkgsrc

> > Thus it fails (I don't mean "make build" failures) in the middle of
> update and causes user to resolve problems manually. nih is able
> > to resolve such problems without interaction with user.
>
> So, does it or does it not build packages from source if needed?
Not yet. At the moment only binary update is available.
For safe update I currently use distbb for rebuilding packages
and then use pkgnih for real update like this

   cd /usr/pkgsrc; cvs up
   nih status -saq
   distbb -i
   nih update

Of course you need to configure both distbb and nih first.

> Also, in case it does, do the builds happen inside a chroot jail as
> with pkg_comp, or would I need to chroot it myself?
See my answer to Jean-Yves Migeon.